My wife Karin's adventure continued from yesterday:


"The second part of the day was lunch in Lefkes and then a trip up Mt. Ilias, the tallest part of Paros with several masts. I suggested the mountain trail down, and my friend (being adventuresome ) said he was all for it! He had a 4 wheeler (quad) and I was on my scooter. The trail was long, hard, and beautiful beyond description. High above us we saw sheep walking in a single file along the terraces, and goats with lovely bells higher up yet! In the silence, the bells were wonderful, although you wonder if the goats get tired of listening to them?


This house was perched above a gully which I found quite delightful. Their view was of the sea far away in the distance. A sheepherder was sitting on the road in just the right place, as we took the wrong road and ended up in a chicken coop! When I asked in my limited Greek...."Dromo?...Aspro Horio?....Kato?" (In Pidgin English..."Where is the road to Aspro Horio? Is it the one below us?") Ha, ha. He shrugged and in his limited English he silently pointed to the road below us. So we took that road and it was the right one!
The trail ends at the main road in the village called Aspro Horio (White Village). An ouzo at the end of a dusty trail was in order, so we went to my favourite beachside taverna at Drios. (Down the narrow lane past the Lake Bar, for those who have been there.)

So, that was my "Monastery, Lefkes lunch, Mountain Top, Mountain Trail" Day! From 10 - 7:30! A long day, but lots of fun. I fancy myself a "bit" of an Adventure Lady, so came home happy and accomplished! What can I tackle next?"

2 comments:

At October 03, 2007 8:47 AM Unknown said...

Hi Michael & Karin

Don't know if this is going to work ...

We are Barbara & Bryn from the UK who popped in to see Michael (last week?) during our two-and-a-bit weeks on Paros (2nd trip in a year). Thank you for your hospitality, and we loved your peaceful idyll.

We are now home and suffering the Paros sickness again (we met an English woman, Katrina, who said that many who visit Paros are compelled to return again and again).

Anyway, we were sory to miss Karin - maybe next time ....

We went for a short circular walk in the countryside south of Naoussa when it was too windy for the beach on Monday. We took a couple of wrong turns - our map was OK but the trackside signs a bit misleading. At one point we were horrified to end up right next to the biggest rubbish tip you have ever seen. The smell was awful and rubbish was being blown hundreds of yards into the fields around.

We read in Paros Life (the foreigners newsletter) that Paros is committed to green policies, recycling etc. It has a way to go!

On a positive note, I learned today that Olympic has just introduced electronic ticketing on the islands. I'll believe it when I see it (bad experience with Olympic yesterday, but that's another story)!

Love, B&B

 
At October 05, 2007 10:35 PM MISYA said...

Sounds like a nice place to visit !

 

Post a Comment


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Facebook me!

expatriate